Sign in to follow this  
FloridaLoveBug

Newbie here :)

My name is Cynthia,I am 24 & just found this forum. It has helped answer a lot of my questions about DACA and the Dream Act. I was wondering if someone could help me though. When the DACA passed I was told I didn't qualify because I had to be in school BEFORE the law passed so I hired a lawyer and he was very understanding and we planned to apply for my green card through my husband who is a Citizen but later we found out that I could apply for DACA so long as I was enrolled in school before I sent my request for consideration. I would much rather apply for DACA than go through my husband at this time because applying through my husband costs alot of money & we honestly don't have that right now. Anywho,my question is,can I fire my lawyer and apply on my own? I've seen alot of people filing for DACA on their own and having no problems so I would like to apply on my own & save some $$.

Thanks everyone & I look forward to getting to know you all. It feels good to know there are others out there like me who go through the same things! :)

Hi Cynthia, like my fellow dreamers I'd like to welcome you to. The forum as well. I'm glad you found it helpful here. In regards to you question, I'd say yes. Its very possible to file the application on your own, however, if you can find an organization or a legal service wroking to help DACA dreamers at a low cost, that will ensure your chances of an even more successful application. They can reassure that your app is done in a orderly manner, easy enough for the adjudicator to look at it and disassemble it. They can also help you check to make sure everything is filled out correctly and accurrately. If those are not avilable in your area and you opt for doing it on your own consider the brief tips and surely, look around the forum where great help/advice is available. Best of luck to you!

You can do whatever you want to do. Your current lawyer would work for you if you pay him the money but you are not obligated to continuing the work through him if you are not pleased for any reason. You can apply for the DACA as long as you are enrolled in a school before you apply for the DACA. In my case, I prepared the applications and documents of my case and my brother's, and just had a lawyer check through the papers. He charged me very fair amount, which was just a little more than the fee of a consultation. Good luck on your application and welcome to the forum.

Welcome! Best wishes to you.

The instructions for DACA are very detailed as well. I would suggest you to read them and then see if there are questions you need help with. Some local organizations charge very little to revise your paperwork after you have filled it out. If you need any help you can always message me. I filled out my application the day it came out and got approved.