Sign in to follow this  
FloridaLoveBug

Legal Resident = Permanent Resident?

I am trying to apply for scholarships once I find out if I am approved for DACA but I noticed that alot of scholarships say "legal resident". Does this mean legal PERMANENT resident? This is exactly what it says:

ELIGIBILITY: THE SWEEPSTAKES IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES or INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WITH VALID VISAS, THIRTEEN (13) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AS OF THE DATE OF THEIR ENTRY. Employees and their families of the Sponsor affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, agencies and participating retailers (collectively, the "Promotion Parties") and those living in the household of same are not eligible to enter or win. By entering this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to abide by all terms of these Official Rules.

No. You are not a legal resident. Being approved for DACA only grants you the ability to stay in the US worry-free of being deported for 2 years as long as you remain a useful citizen. You are still Illegal. The major factor with being approved though, is that, maybe, in your state, they allow you to receive resident tuition, which means 50% off the tuition & fees bill (if it's a public institution from the state, i.e. Community Colleges & State schools).

No. You are not a legal resident. Being approved for DACA only grants you the ability to stay in the US worry-free of being deported for 2 years as long as you remain a useful citizen. You are still Illegal. The major factor with being approved though, is that, maybe, in your state, they allow you to receive resident tuition, which means 50% off the tuition & fees bill (if it's a public institution from the state, i.e. Community Colleges & State schools).

This is almost all true, except for the fact that DACA grants LEGAL presence for 2 years. You are not illegal under DACA; however you are not a permanent resident so those scholarships might not apply.

Thanks for your answers. I wrote them an email & got a response just now saying that I have to be a legal permanent resident to qualify for this scholarship. On to the next one! :)

This is almost all true, except for the fact that DACA grants LEGAL presence for 2 years. You are not illegal under DACA; however you are not a permanent resident so those scholarships might not apply.

Actually...the legal presence through the DACA acceptance is different from having a legal status. DACA granted are still illegal and the DACA status can be terminated at any time. It is stated in the i821D instruction the DACA granted immigrants are granted of legal presence but not legal status. We are simply allowed to work and pay taxes.

Sinae that is what I stated..

"This is almost all true, except for the fact that DACA grants LEGAL presence for 2 years. You are not illegal under DACA; however you are not a permanent resident so those scholarships might not apply".

I didn't meant to mislead anyone. We are not legal permanent residents we only have LEGAL PRESENCE.

Try Private scholarships or your schools scholarships those been here for years lol. They go from $500-full rides. You just gotta do your homework & have the requirements.