Sign in to follow this  
indieBlocs

Getting your I.D. in Texas

Perhaps this has been answer before somewhere on here but im pretty tired to check at this time of the night :blink: I have 2 questions to everyone that lives in Texas and already got their I.D. or DL. How old do you have to be to get your I.D.? (I read somewhere on the web that you have to be at least 15) is that true? & what are the things you have to take with you when you go to get your I.D.?

thanks in advance B)

I got my driver's license already. All you need to do is show 2 proofs of residence here in US, SS, employment card, and need to pass the online education courses, usually around 6 hours and $40-60. After that you go to your local DMV office and apply there.

For proof of residence I took my college transcript (make sure address is in it) and the letter I got from USCIS where it said I was approved. You can also take a bank statement and other things.

Once you pass the online class you need to pass the driving exam and pay a $25 fee at the DMV. After that you receive a temporary driver license the day you take your driving exam. Wait 2-3 weeks and receive your DL in the mail.

Its that Easy!

$16 for an ID, awesome! Out here in CA we're $27 for an ID and $32 for an DL. I sure will hate sliding my debit card for those fees. I'll be applying for both, the ID will come in much earlier since I'll have to wait to take a road test for the DL.

I got my licenset too! I took my work permit,matricula as ID's, a letter when I got approved and the letter where I received the SS as residency proof, you will need you SS for you DL as well. Oh! and you have to take the certificate where you took the 6 hour course. I personally think it's better to take it online, lot's of reading though! I think that was it.