marcoazam

College/work Taxes! Help Please

Hello everyone, can someone help me answer this questions, i worked at a restaurant for a few years, and I applied for the job with a fake SS# and did my taxes with my ITIN number for those years, and when I went to college (2 different ones) I also applied with my ITIN number, i got my Daca approval in december and to filed my taxes for 2012 year do i still use my ITIN number or the new social even though i have not used it yet to work, im confused, and when I go to my colleges to change my ss# what do I tell them the reason ,hows that work. please help , marco

Tough situation man!

If I was you I would still file like you been doing since you really haven't been working with your new ss#! And about the college I'm really not sure!

hope I helped!

I'm sure some of these guys know more than me!

File using your SSN, your ITIN can no longer be used after you obtained the SSN.

You are required by law to send a letter to the IRS notifying them of your new SSN, and for them to rescind your ITIN.

So if I were you, I would go to every place where you are using an ITIN and request it to be changed to the SSN.

I worked in 2012 using a fake ssn and filed the federal and state taxes using my real SSN, I was already approved and refund (so happy) is on the way.

@ Rawf, Ok i also talked to the person that does my taxes every year, and told me that to go to social security office and show them my W2 forms from all previous years , and that obviously shows my fake ss# and not my ITIN #, so it shouldn't matter then??? i wouldnt get in trouble, they never told me about having to sent a letter to IRS or anything, and that they were just gonna transfer from my fake social to my new social. ugh,

If I understand it correctly, You have been filing taxes with your ITIN # but the w-2 form from work was under your fake SSN. I am guessing you took the risk to file because that could have got you in some kind of trouble but you didn't. I would not advise you to file for 2012 taxes with your new SSN # at all nor recommend that you go to SSA to show them your previous year w-2 form because you have been working with a fake SSN #. You could take a risk and file your 2012 taxes as you normally did in the past, and completely stop using your fake SSN.

As for your college app, all you have to do is go to admission office to notify them that you have a new SSN # so they can update your record with the school.