Sign in to follow this  
Jeovany

Social Security Number Question

Hi I Get My Card Today! yeeyyaa! but i have a big question! i want to go to the social security office and apply for social, but i want my i.d too so i can get my license asap too... but i heard that when u go to apply for social that they wont give u the card right away but they can atleast give you the number so you can go to the dmv and put it down to get your I.D if this is possible please let me know, or give me some tips or how to make this proccess a lil bit faster and easy! thanks!!!!

you cant get the number right away because the application needs to be approved before a number is assigned. at the local offices, the application is only processed. you can, however, try to go back a few days later and ask if a number has been assigned to you and then you could get a print out.

then you can take that to the DMV and apply for a ID. you just need to know your SSN number and not actually have the card with you when you go to the DMV.

remember to look up what you need in order to apply for a ID or DL. the requirements will vary from state to state and some state will not issue either to DACA applicants.

you cant get the number right away because the application needs to be approved before a number is assigned. at the local offices, the application is only processed. you can, however, try to go back a few days later and ask if a number has been assigned to you and then you could get a print out.

then you can take that to the DMV and apply for a ID. you just need to know your SSN number and not actually have the card with you when you go to the DMV.

remember to look up what you need in order to apply for a ID or DL. the requirements will vary from state to state and some state will not issue either to DACA applicants.

Sounds really good! thats how you did it? and i live in california.... so i think shouldnt be bad... thanks for your answer!

now, after i applied for my SSN, i got my card in the mail like 4 days later. i had already made an appt at the DMV online the day I got my EAD.

the SSA says that it can take 14 to 30 days to get your SSN but once the app is approved, it gets mailed real fast.

make sure when you apply for your SSN, you have your EAD, your passport (or birth certificate, i used my passport. make sure it's valid). i would also take your approval letters too.

also, print this out and take it with you.

http://ssa.gov/pubs/deferred_action.pdf

there have been some ppl that have gotten a hard time just using their BC. being told that it needs to be translated by someone in their office and what not. just be firm but polite with them. also when filling out the application, check unknown where it ask for your parents SSNs if they do not have one.

Once you apply for you SS# they'll give you a print out with a reference # as well as the phone number for the office you applied at, after a couple of days call the office directly and ask if you have been issue a #, if so go into the office and get a print out. I got my card 5 days after I applied.

I strongly suggest you make an appointment at the DMV. If you don't make an appointment arrive with plenty of time since the last test is given out at 4:30pm

Good luck!

Why are you in such a hurry, things come on their own time.

Some offices won't give out printouts, but best of luck.

Just know you won't be getting the number the very same day, just after 48+ hours.

now, after i applied for my SSN, i got my card in the mail like 4 days later. i had already made an appt at the DMV online the day I got my EAD.

the SSA says that it can take 14 to 30 days to get your SSN but once the app is approved, it gets mailed real fast.

make sure when you apply for your SSN, you have your EAD, your passport (or birth certificate, i used my passport. make sure it's valid). i would also take your approval letters too.

also, print this out and take it with you.

http://ssa.gov/pubs/...rred_action.pdf

there have been some ppl that have gotten a hard time just using their BC. being told that it needs to be translated by someone in their office and what not. just be firm but polite with them. also when filling out the application, check unknown where it ask for your parents SSNs if they do not have one.

Thanks! Getting tons of tips from ya! :P

I agree with Rawf.

Jeovany just slow down a little and take it all in. Lol

You can't get your license and your social security card/number right away. Things take a while to process. The good thing is you just received your EAD Card, just sit back and celebrate until your social arrives and then head to the DMV with a big *ss smile. :D:D

I agree with Rawf.

Jeovany just slow down a little and take it all in. Lol

You can't get your license and your social security card/number right away. Things take a while to process. The good thing is you just received your EAD Card, just sit back and celebrate until your social arrives and then head to the DMV with a big *ss smile. :D:D

Yeahhhh... i mean idk if u guys didn't felt like me to be an ilegal so young and have to see everyone at your school have cars, go to mexico and shhh.. and u couldn't even tho u were at time smarter and with better grades than them and u couldn't do none of those things! and thats why when i got my card and everything went smooth i couldn't wait to get my I.D and my license since this has been like my dream since i can remember, i think u guys should slow down and not kill my buzz lmao.... but hey thanks so much for the tips! now im gonna start another topic since i have another questions now about AP, i been searching for questions on other dreamact pages kinda like this one but people overthere are really rude and unhelpful but i hope i get another quick and good answer here! thanks everyone and now we all part of a big successful family!

Yeahhhh... i mean idk if u guys didn't felt like me to be an ilegal so young and have to see everyone at your school have cars, go to mexico and shhh.. and u couldn't even tho u were at time smarter and with better grades than them and u couldn't do none of those things! and thats why when i got my card and everything went smooth i couldn't wait to get my I.D and my license since this has been like my dream since i can remember, i think u guys should slow down and not kill my buzz lmao.... but hey thanks so much for the tips! now im gonna start another topic since i have another questions now about AP, i been searching for questions on other dreamact pages kinda like this one but people overthere are really rude and unhelpful but i hope i get another quick and good answer here! thanks everyone and now we all part of a big successful family!

Believe me, many of us have those similar stories of seeing our friends get their licenses and jobs...etc. I understand why you want to get your documents as fast as possible. Since I've been approved I've been reflecting on all those years of my life that went to waste. :) But more than anything I'm just so thankful to the all of the Dream Act Activist and also to president Obama, non of this would of have happened if it wasn't for the Obama administration. :)