Sign in to follow this  
itzel29

Ssa In California

So I just got my work permit today :) What do I do now... I live in Garden Grove, CA... What do I need to take?? And do I ask for a print out??

go to the DMV and apply for an ID and also you can go to your local SSN office n apply for a SSN

Don't I need the social number before the id? I mean to go to the Social Security Administration, what do I have to take?

I think you go and get your social first, all you need to take is your ead from what I've read on here. Once you get your social, you go to the dmv. However, I've read that you can get a print out of your social so you can get your DL so you won't have to wait for it.

First you need the social security number, you cannot go to the DMV without it. No matter which part of the US you live. (except those giving licenses to illegal immigrants)

Go to your social security office and fill out the application, then ask for a print out. They will tell you when it will be ready for you to pick it up (some states do not allow printouts at the DMV).

After you get the social security card or printout (in some states), you can go ahead and go to the DMV.

Good luck!

You need to take your EAD and your Passport or Birth Certificate to apply for an SSN.

Some SSAs don't have applications. They just take your information from your documents.

You wont be able to get a printout the same day. They will give you a receipt saying that you applied for an SSN. If the receipt says that will receive your SSN within 2 weeks, then that means your information was verified with DHS and you will be able to get a printout in 24 hours since that is generally how long it takes for the SSA to generate your SSN.

If the receipt says to wait up to 4 weeks, then that means your information wasn't able to be verified and they will have to manually verify your documents with DHS, so you will have to wait longer.

I think you go and get your social first, all you need to take is your ead from what I've read on here. Once you get your social, you go to the dmv. However, I've read that you can get a print out of your social so you can get your DL so you won't have to wait for it.

Thanks

First you need the social security number, you cannot go to the DMV without it. No matter which part of the US you live. (except those giving licenses to illegal immigrants)

Go to your social security office and fill out the application, then ask for a print out. They will tell you when it will be ready for you to pick it up (some states do not allow printouts at the DMV).

After you get the social security card or printout (in some states), you can go ahead and go to the DMV.

Good luck!

Thank you, That was very helpful

You need to take your EAD and your Passport or Birth Certificate to apply for an SSN.

Some SSAs don't have applications. They just take your information from your documents.

You wont be able to get a printout the same day. They will give you a receipt saying that you applied for an SSN. If the receipt says that will receive your SSN within 2 weeks, then that means your information was verified with DHS and you will be able to get a printout in 24 hours since that is generally how long it takes for the SSA to generate your SSN.

If the receipt says to wait up to 4 weeks, then that means your information wasn't able to be verified and they will have to manually verify your documents with DHS, so you will have to wait longer.

Thank you. I'm about to go get the printout right now! :) So I can do my written test for the DL this week

Thanks

I just went to the SSA office 3 blocks from where I live. All I'd showed them was the EAD, Birth Certificate, and a form that I'd filled out. It was Fast :)

I just went to the SSA office 3 blocks from where I live. All I'd showed them was the EAD, Birth Certificate, and a form that I'd filled out. It was Fast :)

For me it took about 4 hours because there were so many people and the workers there were on their lunch break!! LOl. But waiting 4 hours is worth it :)

So Jose I just went today and my print out said that I should receive it within 2 weeks. By what you are saying I can go tomorrow and get a receipt with the SS #?

Also nice touch on the "Forum Moderator" in Japanese!

So Jose I just went today and my print out said that I should receive it within 2 weeks. By what you are saying I can go tomorrow and get a receipt with the SS #?

Also nice touch on the "Forum Moderator" in Japanese!

Yeah, your SSN might be available tomorrow.