Hello everybody,

I have a questions for those of you that have been approved and have dealt with transferring to your new ssn, after having used a fake or itin for work.

Has anyone been able to transfer your contributions (ss/medicare) and taxes that you made while working with a fake?

I vaguely remember someone's post saying that they went to the SS office and brought with them their W2's and tax returns, and were able to transfer them on the spot, even though they used a fake. But I feel a uncomfortable doing that since I'm not 100% sure... On the other hand I have read of a lot of people that "think" it is a bad idea, and seem pretty certain that it can have bad consequences.

So please share your experience if you have been able to transfer.

Hello everybody,

I have a questions for those of you that have been approved and have dealt with transferring to your new ssn, after having used a fake or itin for work.

Has anyone been able to transfer your contributions (ss/medicare) and taxes that you made while working with a fake?

I vaguely remember someone's post saying that they went to the SS office and brought with them their W2's and tax returns, and were able to transfer them on the spot, even though they used a fake. But I feel a uncomfortable doing that since I'm not 100% sure... On the other hand I have read of a lot of people that "think" it is a bad idea, and seem pretty certain that it can have bad consequences.

So please share your experience if you have been able to transfer.

i have the same question :/ i used a fake SS to work and did my taxes wit my itin # but now i dont know what to do  i kinda dont wanna do it since no one seems to know anything about it ..im thinking of just starting from the bottom with my new SS ... also i dont know if i should let the irs know that i have a new SS and to cancel my itin # because in some of my taxe i did my fake SS appears in there even do i would use my itin to do them so idk what to do or just not use my itin anymore :/.

edwin89,

About the IRS, you do have to let them know about your new social. Read this:

http://www.lclaa.org/index.php/lclaa-blog/entry/post-daca

This is well known. You have to send a letter with a copy of your itin and your social and a letter stating you rescind you itin. Don't use your ITIN anymore. Doing this will not put you in any trouble, they already knwo you've been using an ITIN to file taxes, even though you were not even supposed to be working.

My questions was more aimed at our contributions to SS and Medicare, for retirement purposes. I emailed a friend yesterday and he told me he went in the SS administration office and asked them to transfer his contributions, and they did it without a problem. So I think I'll do it to.

edwin89,

About the IRS, you do have to let them know about your new social. Read this:

http://www.lclaa.org/index.php/lclaa-blog/entry/post-daca

This is well known. You have to send a letter with a copy of your itin and your social and a letter stating you rescind you itin. Don't use your ITIN anymore. Doing this will not put you in any trouble, they already knwo you've been using an ITIN to file taxes, even though you were not even supposed to be working.

My questions was more aimed at our contributions to SS and Medicare, for retirement purposes. I emailed a friend yesterday and he told me he went in the SS administration office and asked them to transfer his contributions, and they did it without a problem. So I think I'll do it to.

Ok so they already know we are working with a fake SS thats why the give us the itin # to file taxes right? and there is no problem if i send the letter to the IRS letting them know about my new SS? did you send them that letter? im sorry for all the questioning but im just worry about it lol. also thanx for the link it was really helpful i do have credit on my itin that i wanna transfer to my new SS. Thanx Angela

I am glad to help. I also like to double confirm this type of important stuff.  I actually haven't sent mine yet because I just got my social a couple of months ago. But I'll do it this week. And yes, you must to send the letter informing the IRS. The SS administration does not do this for you automatically. Everybody I know has done it already. 

A note about the ITIN: It's not really meant to file taxes from working, that's what a social is for. Its real purpose is to report any other earnings (that are not wages from working), such as gains on investments, gains on saving accounts, and to be able to open bank accounts. But the IRS is happy to receive our tax money nonetheless so they don't prosecute people who use the ITIN for work taxes.

This is consider a crime. Since its fake and sometimes even use some else social. I personally think you should just start from the bottom. I have family in San Jose, CA and a dreamer got arrested when he try doing this process. I had a conversation with my lawyer before I knew about the dreamer situation, and she clearly to me, Do you want to get arrested? obviously no so she said to just keep the W2s. Since it is only going to benefit you when you retire. She also said to do in 20 years when they forget about our situation or just forget it since now you have one that's real and all my money will count from now on. But it's really up to the person, and/or the state.

This is consider a crime. Since its fake and sometimes even use some else social. I personally think you should just start from the bottom. I have family in San Jose, CA and a dreamer got arrested when he try doing this process. I had a conversation with my lawyer before I knew about the dreamer situation, and she clearly to me, Do you want to get arrested? obviously no so she said to just keep the W2s. Since it is only going to benefit you when you retire. She also said to do in 20 years when they forget about our situation or just forget it since now you have one that's real and all my money will count from now on. But it's really up to the person, and/or the state.

You are talking about the process Angela was talking about right baby23? about the (SS/Medicare) or just about everything?