Sign in to follow this  
pswa83

Have to Point This Out

ok, so from day to day, I keep hearing that states are slowly denying DLs and State IDs to DACA applicants.

you can google the DMV for the state that you live in and find out what it needed to obtain a DL or State ID.

the governor of AZ, NE, and MS are saying that they will not issue DLs and State IDs to DACA applicant.

Most states will accept an I-766, which is an Employment Authorization Card and a SSN card. Which as DACA applicants we will have.

Now i know, that there are 3 different types of SSN cards.

We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.

• The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. We issue it to:
    • U.S. citizens; and
    • People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.

[*]The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.

[*]The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” We issue it to people from other countries:

• Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
    • Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.

As DACA applicants, we will have a Restricted SSN. Which we can still use to obtain a DL and/or State ID

Now for the I-766 card. i have attached what it looks like. No where on it does it say what type of application you filed in order to get one. Which raises this question.

How will these states that are planning on denying DLs and/or State IDs to DACA applicants going to know that they are a DACA applicant?

Unless the USCIS, the DHS, and the SSA all plan to revise their documents having them state that we are DACA applicants, then there is no where to differentiate between us and other people who have received an I-766 and a SSN.

just something to think about while everyone is waiting.

(sorry if i babbled)

For California you need a social security number and you need to verify your birth date and legal presence. I'm not sure if the EAD can be used to verify legal presence though.