Sign in to follow this  
Bryan11

I want a 2 year work permit, currently have been renewing yearly. What do?

Hello everyone, I wanted to inquire about my current situation. I have been renewing my permit yearly since I was 16 (I'm 22 now) I am not a citizen, just authorized to work in the US legally. I qualify under the current stipulations for the deferred action ( been here since I was 4, no criminal records, hs diploma, currently part-time at a community college) Can I get a 2 year permit instead of the 1 year?

if you believe that you qualify under the requirements, you can apply for DACA. the process for you would be the same process as everyone else.

here is the USCIS link for the DACA app.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=05faf6c546129310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=6ca66d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

you will need the following applications

G-1145: this is so USCIS can notify you when they receive your application

I-821D: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Application

I-765: Employment Authorization Document

I-765WS: EAD Worksheet.

then you will need to provide the following information. read this link and it will explain what paperwork you need to send to USCIS with your application.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/form/i-821dinstr.pdf

you will also need 2 passport photos for the I-765. (i am sure you know the process for that already)

the cost for DACA is $465. $380 for the I-765 and $85 for the biometrics.

make out a money order for each of the amounts and make them out to US Department of Homeland Security.

remember to read all the instructions step by step. sign the applications and if you can have someone look over them before you send them in.

if you have any questions about anything in the process, feel free to ask them here and someone will answer them.

good luck :)

I'm not sure, one of the requirements is this:

Not have lawful immigration status on June 15, 2012. This means you must have entered the U.S. without papers before June 15, 2012, or, if you entered lawfully, your lawful immigration status must have expired as of June 15, 2012.

What is your current immigration status? If you are legally allowed to be here, then I don't think you can apply.

I agree with Jose on this one. This act is mostly for people who have no lawful status and that havent even been able to work. But to be sure, itd be better if you sought an attorneys advice.

Lawful status does not equal lawful presence. TPS provides lawful presence but not lawful status. If I were you I'd wait to apply after the presidential elections because if you were to get approved, Romney won, and the program was ended, not only would you not be able to renew your DACA benefits, but you'd most likely not be able to reapply for TPS under your previous category due to its discontinuation.

Lawful status does not equal lawful presence. TPS provides lawful presence but not lawful status. If I were you I'd wait to apply after the presidential elections because if you were to get approved, Romney won, and the program was ended, not only would you not be able to renew your DACA benefits, but you'd most likely not be able to reapply for TPS under your previous category due to its discontinuation.

Actually those who are approved before the elections will be eligible to renew their work permit. Those who did not apply on time are the ones on risk of not getting accepted.