Sign in to follow this  
Aled

Heyyyyy

Hello, my name is Alex I'm 23 years old and I come from Colombia. I entered the United States in the year of 1999 when I was 9 years old. I initially came with my mother and sister, my dad had already been living here since 1990 we came here all thanks to him who sent for us. Life in Colombia for me was good in the sense that I've always had everything. We've had a beautiful home, with beautiful surroundings. At the time however, Colombia was under very heavy turmoil from drug cartels and the armed forces that kept innocent people under constant threat.

My family was never at peace, we got harassed and our home robbed constantly. The violence was vicious amongst the rebel groups at the time. I recall many times where me and my family came under many near death experiences. Shootings, bombings you name it. We experienced it, we lived it. The 90's era in Colombia was one that made many people flee the country. Violence was vicious. That its what brought me and my family here to the U.S.

Initially when I arrived to the U.S life was good. My parents had good paying jobs the economy in the country was good and life for undocumented immigrants wasn't as difficult as it is today. Hence, it was possible to get a DL and easier to get a job. My adaptation to this country couldn't come off any better, I started going to school few months after I arrived, I picked up the language very fast. My family no longer had to suffer the uncertainty of safety that we've had back in the native land.

Ever since I was young I had always been involved in sports, mainly soccer. When I was in middle school playing with my friends I got picked up by a scout of one of the top clubs in my region (Bolts). My talent evolved, I played and trained with the best. This was a great time for me, I met places, people made the best of friends. When I got to high school and already recognized as a "player to watch" I was given the opportunity of a lifetime to join the All-American team to travel abroad for tournaments. At that time I didn't recognize I was an undocumented alien, I felt as though I was from here. When the time came on the summer of 2006 I was going to be taken to taken to Italy for a tournament. That was not possible... I had to be withdrawn from the team. The following year, I missed yet another trip to Dominica. This for me was a breaking point. I began to realize that my status situation was really going to hurt me in future goals. I had wanted to go to a university and study mechanical engineering, play for for a division one team. I dreamed of having a career working on big things. It often saddens me to think about the what ifs.. Two of my old team-mates/friends are now semi-professional, others playing for top universities in the country. Me, only the what if.

Things were difficult, especially after 9/11 terrorist attacks. Everything got complicated for undocumented immigrants. I dropped out of high school in my sophomore year, but I returned and graduated with honors. After high school, with scholarships lost and opportunities gone I was never the same. I became isolated, lonely and many occasions depressed. I attempted to try going to college but it wasn't easy to carry on financially by myself.

I hope for one day to be able to live the american dream. I want to be able to exploit all my virtues and talents. I hope for an immigration reform that can benefit us and our hard working families.

It's a tough life out there. It really is. But this Action, hopefully, will make everything better. But welcome to the forums. We are all family now!

I like that you said we are all family here.