JoseG

How to obtain a Social Security Number after DACA Approval

There is no fee when applying for a SSN. I would advise everyone to take their original birth certificate and if you can a notarized translation of the birth certificate. I took my passport and ID and they were both ignored entirely. The agent only looked at the birth certificate. She did check for stamps and signatures that indicated it was an original copy.

I took in my original and notarized copy of my birth certificate like roadrunner suggested, but they didnt even look at it, the lady that helped me was easy to get along with and super helpful...and since I was already in the system, she just confirmed my parents names and ss #s.

There are no fees and seems waiting times vary depending on state...

Hello! I just want to make sure I've got this right. So after you have been approved and gotten your things in the mail you can go to your nearest ssn and apply, right? The ssn doesn't get mailed to you automatically, you need to apply for it yourself?

Yes Ale, I sent you a message with a detailed description of what to do/expect. You can go today to the SS office and apply for one. The SSN is not sent to you automatically, so get going on your process :D

You can probably go back Tuesday and get a print out of your number in case your card takes longer than that.

Hope this helps!

This question is for my brother in law he just got approved on 11/04/12. For social security application which choice did you guys check for citizenship question #5? Legal alien allow to work or other?

Thank you.

Here is his timeline

FYI he is 16 years old still in high school.

EWI: YES (entered USA when he was 9 years old)

had 1 infraction a year ago for fighting in high school BTW did Not add it on the application.

His whole process time: 1 month to get approved.

Total pages sent with the application about 60 pages.

Self-prepared

WAC#1390027***

Sent app 10/03/12 by express mail to Arizona lock box received 10/4/12 routed to California service center

Biometrics letter received 10/13/12 for 11/08 (walk-in) 10/15/2012 (Riverside CA) used high school ID

EAD approved 11/03/12

Deferred action-Approved 11/04/12

Hopefully the information helpsicon_razz.gif

This question is for my brother in law he just got approved on 11/04/12. For social security application which choice did you guys check for citizenship question #5? Legal alien allow to work or other?

Thank you.

Here is his timeline

FYI he is 16 years old still in high school.

EWI: YES (entered USA when he was 9 years old)

had 1 infraction a year ago for fighting in high school BTW did Not add it on the application.

His whole process time: 1 month to get approved.

Total pages sent with the application about 60 pages.

Self-prepared

WAC#1390027***

Sent app 10/03/12 by express mail to Arizona lock box received 10/4/12 routed to California service center

Biometrics letter received 10/13/12 for 11/08 (walk-in) 10/15/2012 (Riverside CA) used high school ID

EAD approved 11/03/12

Deferred action-Approved 11/04/12

Hopefully the information helpsicon_razz.gif

i checked LEGAL ALIEN allowed to work

Quick question for anyone that has gone and done this already, Can you choose another address for them to send you the ssn?

You write down your mailing address on the application.

You write down your mailing address on the application.

Thanks!

& Do you know if you're 16 does your parent have to go with you to get your ssn?

The instructions don't state anything about your parents having to go with you.

The only thing it says is that if you are under 18 years old, you must write down their Social Security Numbers on the application, unless they don't have one assigned to them.

Other than that, you can sign the application yourself if you want.

No, there is not a fee to apply for a social security card. All I was asked to show was my passport, work authorization card, and the application filled out. Once you apply fort it should take about two weeks for you to get in the mail.

However, your number should be generated within 24 to 48 hours after you apply and you can then go back to the Social Security Office and request a paper print out of your number. It can take longer for them to generate a number if you have a common name. I have a very common name, so I was told that before a number could be given to me, it would have to be cleared by management to make sure that in fact I didn't have a number. But, it all worked out at the end. It took four days for me to get a print out with my number.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Application Sent: September 07, 2012

Lockbox: Chicago, IL

Mail Method: USPS Flat Rate mail w/ delivery confirmation

Date Delivered: September 10, 2012

Date of I-797 C Notice of Action: September 12, 2012

Service Center: Texas

Date of Biometrics: Walk-in September 24th, 2012 @10:00am

Date of EAD Letter/Email/TXT Approval: Oct. 24th at 3:45 PM

Applied for SSN: Nov. 2, 2012

SSN Printout: Nov. 8, 2012

Cool post. Thanks, regarding the foreign birth certificate, do they mean the original birth certificate or the translated certified copy we have?

Ill be bringing both in just in case and as soon as I get my work permit Ill be applying for a TX ID, just to make any type of paperwork go by easier...

hello so I have my approve for work but I want to move to California can I take my SSN in after I move to California or do I need to take it where I am living right now? and then live to California?

hello so I have my approve for work but I want to move to California can I take my SSN in after I move to California or do I need to take it where I am living right now? and then live to California?

i guess that all depends on how fast you want to move. if you can wait 1- to 14 days then i would say apply for your SSN before you move then once you move, go to your local SSA office and change your address.

if you do move, you will also need to change your address with USCIS as well. if you already know the address where you are moving then you can make the change as soon as you know when you are going to move. ( i did this. i changed my address 2 weeks before i moved)

hey great questions but i have one i got my approval today along with my ead how long do i have to wait to apply for ssn thanks

Apply as soon as you can! Once you get your EAD you can apply

hey guys one more question how long and complicated is the application for ss i just received my ead and planing on applying tomorrow thanks

I have to say, finding this website has done my heart some real good. All the information that I've been reading on various forums answer so many questions and relieves so much stress off my shoulders. I'm currently waiting for my biometrics appointment tomorrow. Very excited! Just wanted to thank y'all for all the insight. =]