Sign in to follow this  
holdingon2promise

I Hope There Is A Separate Division That Handles Renewals… Because

I agree. I do believe that the renewal review process will be quicker since there isn't substantial evidence to review, just to ensure the renewal app is cohesive with the initial submission.

From what I recall reading on the USCIS website, as long as you sent in your renewal package in the time they recommended.......if theres a back log that is not our fault, and our EAD expires, you can keep on working..here's what they have on their website:

If your previous period of deferred action expires before you receive a renewal of deferred action under DACA, you will accrue unlawful presence and will not be authorized to work for any time between the periods of deferred action.  For this reason, USCIS encourages you to submit your request for renewal 120 days before your current period of deferred action under DACA expires.

BUT.........

Note: If USCIS is unexpectedly delayed in processing your renewal request, we may provide deferred action and employment authorization for a short period of time until we finish processing your request. We may do this if you filed your request at least 120 days before your current period of deferred action and employment authorization expire.

This is why I sent my renewal package close to the 4 month mark to bypass this paperwork b*^$#*%t.

It is unfortunate that there is such a thing as if you don't renew on time you are screwed. Seriously, there needs to be a better option. People can get caught up in life and may not realize time is running out. As a premed student I would never remember... Ever

@holdingon2promise:

Seems there is a confusion, I never said you said it would be the DREAMER's fault if they didn't renew on time. I made that as a general comment that it is not our fault if USCIS doesn't go through our application on time.

When you say, "People can get caught up in life and may not realize time is running out. As a premed student I would never remember... Ever"...I understand people get caught up with things, but something as important as renewing your EAD in order to work and study should be at the top of your list.

There are calendar apps that can remind you of important events. I work full time at a law firm and am also a pre med student attempting to get into the surgical field and want to continue on this path, so I have made it a priority to stay on top of these dates.

Hope you receive your EAD very soon...

Take responsibility for your actions. As you grow older you'll realize that you have much more responsibilities to take care of: car insurance bills, tax returns, car payments, car registration, etc. And now DACA renewal. Being a student is not an excuse for not wanting to remember an important priority. Not trying to sound abrasive, it's part of being an adult.

^^ okay... I think something as important as renewing, I would remember to do. I can say now, "how will i remember?" Yeah, i think i would.  In fact know I would.  My statement was geared toward how life can get in the way and that the punishment shouldn't be so harsh being that people were approve before and most waited forever before even getting an answer.

I'd like to also note, that I haven't even been approve yet so currently renewals is not relevant. This post was a statement hoping that the renewals and current applicants are review by different division. Thanks.

This is why I sent my renewal package close to the 4 month mark to bypass this paperwork b*^$#*%

So you sent in your renewal application already? How did you do it? Like did you get help from an attorney, go to a clinic or do it by yourself?

@jessevigil: I did it by myself. More affordable that way & I didn't have problems the first time.