Sign in to follow this  
C_Air23

SSN after 2 years..

Ok, so I have a question! I know that EAD's are valid for 2 years and are renewable, but if you get a SSN, a SSN doesn't expire! If you don't renew your EAD, will your SSN still be valid and will it still be valid to use to get credit cards and renew ID's and Drivers license later on in the future? I believe that if you go to DMV to get a Drivers license and you only show your EAD, they will give you a DL that will expire the same time your EAD does...but if you have a SSN (which I believe will say authorized to work with DHS consent) I believe they will give you a regular ID or license that isn't "limited" right? I just want to really know what will happen to our SSSn since SSN doesn't expire.. Will it still be valid?

SSN are permanent, however, what i think may happen is that if your DACA is not renewed or you do not renew it, then the SSA might inform you that your SSN is no longer valid for employment. then i would believe the SSA may change your card to have it say "Not for Employment Purposes" or something to that affect. Meaning that you might still be able to use it for tax purposes or other things but not to be legally employed.

Yes, but if someone can't renew their ead what are they to do? They wont be able to work because of what their SSN says.

It would also be illegal to stay after your Daca expires.

SSN are permanent, however, what i think may happen is that if your DACA is not renewed or you do not renew it, then the SSA might inform you that your SSN is no longer valid for employment. then i would believe the SSA may change your card to have it say "Not for Employment Purposes" or something to that affect. Meaning that you might still be able to use it for tax purposes or other things but not to be legally employed.

I believe that your SSN will still be valid and still be able to use to get an ID etc.. I am not even sure if DACA applicants gets a different SSN from others...since ther is 3 types of SSN 1) for US citizens/Green card holders 2) for work 3) for benefits.. since there a category on SSN's website which says...SSN for DACA aplicants.. Anyone who has applied for a SSN and got their card, PLEASE PLEASE let us know what type of SSN you guys get!

Maybe someone can enlighten me about this before I actually call SS Office, what if I already have a SS Card, it just says NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT? Im sure that now that Ill be able to work because I have the permit but will I still have the same # or will I be issued a new one??

Thanks Jose and do you know if getting the new card with the same number take the same time as someone getting a new SS card that has never had one? Also, Ive been reading on other forums that its recommended to wait 10 days after receiving EAD to apply for SS Card because by then all systems have been updated with new EAD information. Have you heard anything similar?

I'm not sure if it would take as long for someone who already has an SSN.

Yeah, many people have gone in to the SSA and have been told that they needed to wait 10 days after they received their EAD to apply for an SSN because they need to verify your information with DHS and they can't do it until after 10 days because that is when you will be in the system.

Did you have any problems applying for the SS card after waiting 5 days, after you received your EAD jcr?

No problems at all. Everything went smooth.

I applied for my social , 5 days after ead.

When did you get your EAD card? I ask because I dont see a timeline for you.

When did you get your EAD card? I ask because I dont see a timeline for you.

just made my time line.