EnJR

Planning after approved DACA

Hey guys!

Well, I was wondering if any of you guys have any plans to solve their migratory status after getting their DACA approved. What I mean is, yes, we're gonna be granted SSN and a work permit but only valid for two years and if the policy is renewed then we can renew it for another two years and so on. I see this as an opportunity or kick start for us to solve through other possible ways.

For me, I see this as a temporary solution (which it is) but that will let me solve my situation much easier than having nothing, I will literally work my ass off even more so that I'm prepared if something happens to DACA.

Does any of you think the same? I know a highly paying job, a car, education are important, but I think solving our migratory situation is a first priority. This is a one of a kind opportunity and we have to make the best out of it. After we solve our status, we will be able to get whatever we want cause as DREAMERS that we are, we have gone through very difficult situations, we know what it feels to not be able to work like other people, have the things other people have, or even drive without being scared about being pulled over, or as simple as it is, when people ask us for an identification and we have nothing to show but a passport (for some). So I think even though we will be able to "calm down" for two years, this is a heads up for us to work even harder and be prepared for the future, so I think it's a great idea, while we wait for our application to be approved, plan for the future, plan what to do, how to work things out so we won't fall again into what we were before DACA.

I agree that this is a temporary solution and unfortunately it seems its just a way of being legally "illegal". I also think we will have to work hard, for when the time comes to renew and we are asked, "What have you done these 2 years?" I can show that Ive been productive. I do hope that if Obama wins he grants us what we've been waiting for, the official DREAM Act.

I received my EAD today and am already studying the drivers manual for Texas. I will apply for a SS card as soon as possible and by the time I recevive it, I will be ready to take my DL test.

Good luck to everyone!!!

I'm planning to initiate my permanent residency documents as soon as I can and consult with an attorney.

The 2 years work permit is very nice, but limited and it just doesn't cut it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad this opportunity was given and I will do my best to do what I can to better myself with it.. but my plans surpass the two years and some of them require more than a temporary solution.

I may sound selfish, but I've been in the US for so long, raised here and this is the only country I know. I want the opportunities everyone who are permanent residents have at the moment as well and to have that I need to work even harder.

I understand that we all want MORE but I feel we must still be aware that this step, DACA Approval, is at least 1 step towards our long term goal, being able to be legal in a country we know as "home". We must walk, before we jog and ultimately run towards the finish line.

I believe its best to wait just a little after whoever wins the election to see where we are heading, hopefully Obama winning, he will keep his promise and grant us the DREAM Act. I find it tedious that we'd have to every 2 years be renewing the EAD, the SS card and in TX, the DL. But, I shouldnt really complain, after all, Ill finally be able to feel "normal" and work.

I'm also glad about this new opportunity and I think most of the people who qualifies for this new policy feel like they should be given the privileges permanent residents have since we were mostly raised here in the US and it's the only country we really know. And to me, the fact of renewing the EAD every two year does not cut it for me either but as @Itzel said, it's step by step and we have to be glad we were granted this opportunity.

PS: I CANT WAIT FOR MY APPROVAL !! :rolleyes:

I'm planning to initiate my permanent residency documents as soon as I can and consult with an attorney.

The 2 years work permit is very nice, but limited and it just doesn't cut it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad this opportunity was given and I will do my best to do what I can to better myself with it.. but my plans surpass the two years and some of them require more than a temporary solution.

I may sound selfish, but I've been in the US for so long, raised here and this is the only country I know. I want the opportunities everyone who are permanent residents have at the moment as well and to have that I need to work even harder.

was just wondering how you plan on applying for PR? in terms of what basis?

I think lots of us have this question in mind as well, how to become actually legal (residents and in the future citizens). I feel that we are in a bit of grey area if we just keep renewing our work authorizations.

In my college I saw a few international students apply for a type of work permits called OPT (something like optional practical training). If they find a job that wants to keep them for a while, they are then able to apply for H1B visas (work visas) and after a year or two if they find a job that wants to hire them permanently, they are able to apply to for residency. In doing so, the employer will be sponsoring them through the whole process.

I wonder if this will be a possibility for us. It is still a long process, but it could be an option to the dream act in case it doesn't pass.

I think lots of us have this question in mind as well, how to become actually legal (residents and in the future citizens). I feel that we are in a bit of grey area if we just keep renewing our work authorizations.

In my college I saw a few international students apply for a type of work permits called OPT (something like optional practical training). If they find a job that wants to keep them for a while, they are then able to apply for H1B visas (work visas) and after a year or two if they find a job that wants to hire them permanently, they are able to apply to for residency. In doing so, the employer will be sponsoring them through the whole process.

I wonder if this will be a possibility for us. It is still a long process, but it could be an option to the dream act in case it doesn't pass.

Angela - I believe the only way to apply for OPT is when you have a student visa and have completed college. I am not sure if we can somehow be included.

Hi EnJR,

I had free consultations with four immigration lawyers and I happened to ask all four of them the question of

what happens after DACA expires (if they don't renew the work permit after the two years).

They told me that basically I can get a green card in one of two ways:

1) The DREAM act is passed

2) I get married to a US citizen.

They ALL told me that I can NOT have an employer sponsor me for a green card (at least, not under the current

immigration laws.) I do hope for and would strongly support the passage of the DREAM act and/or other comprehensive

immigration reform that would benefit honest, hard-working immigrants. Personally, I have been hearing about/hoping for

this for the past ten years, and I'm tired of being let down. Also, I do not wish to get married at a young age. (I respect other

people's choices, however.)

I have a BS in Biochemistry, which at the moment, is but a mere piece of paper. When I was in high school, I believed that by my senior year, I'd have a green card. When Obama took office, I thought, that really soon (as in a few months), I'd have a green card. And now, a

year after getting my bachelor's degree, I still don't have one.

Right now, I'm considering the following option: get the work permit, work here in the US for 2 years. Then if they don't renew

this or pass the DREAM act, move to the country that I'm originally from (Brazil) and continue my career there, or possibly move

to a different country, possibly Canada or some place in Europe.

I was wondering if anyone else considered the possibility of moving back to their native country or some place else in search of opportunity.

Hi Marlivil,

Reading your post took me aback a couple of years ago when i finished my bachelors. I was feeling the same way, that my degree was just a piece of paper. And totally considered moving to a different country. I was looking at Canada, UK, and Australia, and some Scandinavia countries. Even with a degree, it is difficult. Most require at least a year or two of paid work experience (which I couldn't attain in the US) or an advanced degree (master, phd).

So in hopes to have a chance elsewhere I continued to do a master. It totally drained me, of money and energy. This past May when I finished the master, I was ready to pack my bags, when my husband (international student) got a job in Cali. So I figured i'll stay with him in Cali while job hunting abroad, when suddenly my mom called me with the news she saw on TV.

I was so happy and full of hope. If it weren't for the job in Cali, I may have left and missed this chance. So I really think that things are meant to be.

I feel that dreamers may have a tough path to follow, but honestly I think we aim much higher. All my friends that were or still are in our situation have tried to much harder than my friends that had no uncertainty about their future. Even my friends that did not go to college; they have been much more aggressive about finding a good business or learning a trade and really standing out in the whatever field they chose.

I never really expected a green card, not even with Obama on his first term. I really hoped for it, but thought too unlikely. I am a bit of a pessimist sometimes. But for his second term, for the first time I have a bit of real hope. I think if Obama is re-elected the dream act may pass. I honestly think he is the better (much better) candidate for the country as a whole in the economy, health, social issues, women's rights, foreign policy ...ect, but now also specially for the dreamers

Hi EnJR,

I had free consultations with four immigration lawyers and I happened to ask all four of them the question of

what happens after DACA expires (if they don't renew the work permit after the two years).

They told me that basically I can get a green card in one of two ways:

1) The DREAM act is passed

2) I get married to a US citizen.

They ALL told me that I can NOT have an employer sponsor me for a green card (at least, not under the current

immigration laws.) I do hope for and would strongly support the passage of the DREAM act and/or other comprehensive

immigration reform that would benefit honest, hard-working immigrants. Personally, I have been hearing about/hoping for

this for the past ten years, and I'm tired of being let down. Also, I do not wish to get married at a young age. (I respect other

people's choices, however.)

I have a BS in Biochemistry, which at the moment, is but a mere piece of paper. When I was in high school, I believed that by my senior year, I'd have a green card. When Obama took office, I thought, that really soon (as in a few months), I'd have a green card. And now, a

year after getting my bachelor's degree, I still don't have one.

Right now, I'm considering the following option: get the work permit, work here in the US for 2 years. Then if they don't renew

this or pass the DREAM act, move to the country that I'm originally from (Brazil) and continue my career there, or possibly move

to a different country, possibly Canada or some place in Europe.

I was wondering if anyone else considered the possibility of moving back to their native country or some place else in search of opportunity.

Nooo! I never thought of moving back! Move back to where? N.stay with who? My birth place is correct...my birth place. Not my home. It's a fight. N we must continue fighting. I know Ppl that got married n now there life is perfect, literally. Take all options. Don't limit your self.