Sign in to follow this  
C_Air23

Drivers Liccense/ID...SSN

Anyone getting both Drivers License and ID? I know I will..lol knowing that applying for SSN takes about a week to get ur card then if you take ur written at the DMV, you have to wait for the actual for 2 weeks, so might as well have an ID while waiting lol...BTW anyone know if they can give you your SSN the day of and then wait for the physical card later in the mail so you can get an ID/Drivers license while you wait for the physical card? Also, Does anyone know if the Drivers License OR ID will expire the same time you EAD card does...I know your Drivers license will be "limited" and will expire the same time your EAD, but will it be the same for an ID? I also found out that you can renew your license online...if an EAD isnt valid anymore, and since SSN doensnt expire, will it still be in effect to be able to renew your License/ID....what are you guys' thoughts on these... ??

I have a SS card with the restriction of NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT. I hope to be able to keep my number and just have the restriction lifted. Here in TX one of the main supporting documents to determine identity to apply for an ID or DL is a PHYSICAL SS Card. This is aside from a birth certificate and paperwork from USCIS detailing one is legal to be here in the US or is authorized to work. A printout that the SS card is on the way isnt enough. Therefore, I will have to wait until I obtain my PHYSICAL SS card to apply for a TX ID or DL. I will also be applying for both and I believe in my personal opinion that both will expire when my EAD does. It will be a hassle and very annoying to have every 2 years to renew EAD, DL, SS Card, and ID but I shouldnt complain much, I finally have the opportunity to feel normal...

Yes, a SS # doesnt expire, up to where I know, but the restrictions on it can be lifted or added as ones status changes, until one obtains either permanent residency or citizenship.

I See, I looked at the Renew license on DMV i believe it just need the last 4 of SSN..and just payment...if its renewed online...hmm..i mean as long as we have a SSN cant we just renew our ID/License?

the DMV checks the immigration status with DHS when you apply for your DL/ID. so even if you try to apply or renew or DL/ID after your EAD is expired, most likely you will not be able to because the DHS will notify the DMV that your EAD is no longer vaild.

as for renewing your DL/ID online, seeing how in CA the DL will be limited, there is a good chance that you wont be apply to because you will need to present a valid EAD in order to do so.

Hm you aren't supposed to renew the SSN. It doesn't expires.

Yes, SSN doesn expire...she just means she has a SS Card with the "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" when your status changes, they give you a different card, BUT THE SAME SS NUMBER...She now will get the "Valid for employment with DHS authorization" we all will...since theres 3 diff types of SSN Cards 1) for US Citizens/Green card holders 2) Valid for employment with DHS authorization and 3) not valid for work (mostly for senior citizens that can get benefits) but isnt valid to us for work..

the DMV checks the immigration status with DHS when you apply for your DL/ID. so even if you try to apply or renew or DL/ID after your EAD is expired, most likely you will not be able to because the DHS will notify the DMV that your EAD is no longer vaild.

as for renewing your DL/ID online, seeing how in CA the DL will be limited, there is a good chance that you wont be apply to because you will need to present a valid EAD in order to do so.

oh ok, gotcha...i wonder how the process will go for renewal for EAD...i really hope Obama gets re-elected!!

as far as i know, the renewal for a EAD is pretty simple in most cases. but in terms of DACA applicants, i think we will have to file for the I-821D along with the EAD again seeing how they go hand in hand. i dont think we'll be able to apply for one or the other when we reapply. the renewal process might be easier because we may not have to show all the paperwork that we did when we first applied.

but i think we'll just have to see how it goes 2 yrs from now. fingers crossed its as simple, if not simpler, then it is now