Sign in to follow this  
Santi

I am Santiago, and this is my story...

Hi everyone,

My story starts in Medellin, Colombia, were I was born and raised until the age of 14. My mother decided to move to the US, so she left in 1999. In the year 2000, she sent for me, so I arrived to a small town in one of the Carolinas. I enrolled in HS, and started to work PT, since I was able to get 'fake papers' to secure employment.

After a couple of years, my mother decided to move to Florida, since the environment in that particular town was detrimental to my personal development. Before moving to Florida, my mother was advised to apply for Political Asylum, since we had a very strong case to present to immigration, and hopefully secure a path to naturalization.

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale in 2003, and the process was going fine. Our case was being reviewed, so we received employment authorization and a SSN that had to be renovated every 2 years. Through this, we were able to get DLs and to secure employment that would allow us to get employment that allowed us to live 'comfortably.' In 2004, my mother decided to move further south, so we settled in Miami, some 30 miles south of Ft. Lauderdale. I was able to finish High School, and decided to work for some time. After a couple of months, I decided to enroll in college, since I qualified for in-state tuition, and was able to secure a subsidy for my education through a family member back in Colombia.

After 2 years in college, I transferred to a 4 year university to pursue a Bachelor's in International Business. All this was possible due to the fact that my case was being analyzed by the respective individuals. However, this alone did not mean that I would be able to secure residency, let alone citizenship. During my time in the University, I was determined to graduate with the highest honors, since I was planning to attend grad school in the near future, and the programs that I was considering had very tough admission requirements.

Everything was going according to plan. I was studying as hard as I could, and my GPA was very close to a 4.0. Through my academic performance, I was able to secure an internship with a Petroleum Trading firm, and I thought that the sky was the limit. Enter senior year, and start of the nightmare.

During senior year, my application for asylum was denied, so we appealed the decision. This allowed us to buy some time, and for me to finish my studies. However, the appeal was denied and we were placed in deportation proceedings. Due to this new situation, I was not able to renovate my DL, and since I had to drive to school every day, I exposed myself to the risk of being pulled over and taken to jail. The risk became a reality. I got pulled over once, given a ticket for being a first offense, and let go (close call). However, I was to be pulled over a couple of more times, and since it was considered a repeat offense, it could be treated as a criminal one with the risk of being incarcerated for some time. Therefore, I contracted the services of an attorney to take care of that situation for me. It would not be the last. After being pulled over, again, I feared that this time I would go to jail. Apparently, a detective became obsessed with me and started harassing my house, saying that he was looking for me and that he was going to send me away for a long time. Because of this, I had to go into hiding for a weekend, until we talked to the attorney and, through the grace of God, he was able to erase the case and avoid criminal prosecution. Close call.

After that close call, and after my graduation, I went back to the company I did my internship in. I was to be hired as a temp/contractor. This was because the company wanted to assess my proficiency, and decide if it was safe to offer me full time employment. I passed with flying colors. After about 6 months, my career was starting to take off. Many executives were praising me for my work. Offices around the world were familiar with my work, and management decided that it was time for me to go overseas. Enter the nightmare.

The company decided to award me with full time employment, salary and benefits. This was like a dream come true, since I would be able to provide my mother with a more comfortable lifestyle and many perks. However, they noticed that I could not be legally employed, and I was forced to leave the company, albeit in good terms. Many people in the company asked why I left, myself included. That day, which I will remember forever, I fell into a deep depression. I wanted to go back to Colombia, since I saw a very successful, rewarding career slipping away. So much time dedicated studying the industry, the company and its operations...for nothing. My obsession with being successful, and to serve as an example to many people like me, was almost gone in the blink of an eye. Some days, I saw myself crying, trying to get some sense out of the situation, looking for a way out...without any luck. Apparently, all the doors closed in my face, and I would stay in limbo until ICE would come and tell me 'time to go, pal.'

The decision was simple. Stay and fight for my dreams, or surrender and leave. I chose the former, and I was determined to fight until they forced me out of a country I called home. During this time, my new career interest dawned on me...I am to be an Investment Banker. However, to accomplish this, I have to go to a very selective graduate school that will provide me with the technical skills needed to become a 'Master of the Universe.' To attend grad school, I would have to take a standardized test, the GMAT, and obtain a very competitive score. However, in order to take the test, I have to show proof of residency, passport, etc. Once again, strike out.

Even though I have stuck out several times, I plan to stay home. Like many of you, I want to stay and achieve my dreams. I know for a fact that there are many citizens who decide not to go to school, get educated and succeed. Rather, they want to 'suck on the government's tit,' and blame people like many of us for taking their jobs. Guess what? If I am given the opportunity to stay, I will gladly provide some 'milk' for that 'tit.' I just want to be given a shot. All of us do!

In conclusion, that is me in a nutshell. While I wait for my employment authorization, which has been very detrimental to my health, both mentally and physically, I will keep culturalizing myself by reading works of literature. I will try to keep sane and pray that not only me, but all of us receive employment authorization soon, and a path to citizenship.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to send me a messsage, and I will be more than glad to chat and share your burden.

Hang in there guys, we are going to make it!

With the kindest of regards,

Santiago.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It sucks that things didn't go as planned, but hopefully after you receive your work authorization those doors will open for you once again and those opportunities will again be available for the taking.

Wow! What a beautiful story! My life is a replica of yours...well, almost. As we get older, our immigration situation really tortures and haunts us psychologically, the worst torture of all. It is really encouraging to hear these stories of pain but triumph and i really love this community where we get to bear one another's burden, united by one cause, one dream.

Thanks Jose and JamRock!

The waiting is killing me...

I have been networking extensively since I sent the applications in order to streamline my employment situation.

I just need a decision, like, YESTERDAY!

Santi,

I am really rooting for you to get your approval ASAP .

I know the waiting is the most anticipating part but this will soon be in the past!

You are a professional kind person. Remember that we are here for you and you are not alone :)

Waaww Thanks for sharing your story with us Santiago, it seems to me that you have never gave up on your dreams and that is something to admire. Life here is not easy without a status but is not impossible ether ^^ :P i wish that you get your approval very soon to continue your career. You truly deserve this opportunity. we all do :lol: good luck :)

You draw some tears from me...just reminded me a few years ago.....I hope the best for you, Santi. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Welcome Santi...

Im sure your story is one that will inspire many more on the forum to continue working towards their dreams and NEVER lose hope.

I wish you the best.

Thanks a lot Kae, Sinae, Luna, and Itzel -

Your words of support and your encouragement make my anxiety a little more manageable!

If anyone has any questions, comments, or any concerns whatsoever, I am here and will stick around!

Thanks roadrunner!

I do what God allows me to ;)

Not only do I want to share the burden, but also help the people that are going through the same situation.

This forum has been a great tool that allows all of us to find solace with each other.

Cheers!

Use this time to continue to network and self-reflect because your head will go bazerk when you get that card in your hand.

You are so focused and that's awesome!

@JamRock - I definitely will. 'Networking is the name of the game...' ;)

@Mario - Thanks a lot dude! Likewise...

If there is any way that I may be of service to anyone at all, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Wow, seems like you have been through a lot, but you haven't given up and that's good!! and don't give up! :) keep on striving for the best and keep on fighting for your dream(s). Thanks for sharing your story ^_^