Sign in to follow this  
fatboyslimmy

Firearms?

Hello fatboyslimmy, this question is a bit unrelated to what Deferred Action and the Dream Act is all about. Many factors should come to play when buying a firearm for whatever purpose, every state has different policies for buying one. Some states being more strict than others etc.

Hello fatboyslimmy, this question is a bit unrelated to what Deferred Action and the Dream Act is all about. Many factors should come to play when buying a firearm for whatever purpose, every state has different policies for buying one. Some states being more strict than others etc.

Yes I understand its somewhat unrelated but one of the guidelines for buying a gun is not to be a Illegal Alien. In my state one does not have many regulations except for handguns and conceal carry permits. But it is against the law for an Illegal to have any type of gun.

What Im asking is once you get EAD and SSN even though it does not constitute legal status, but youre not illegal anymore?

I'm not sure.

Here in California there is something called a " Personal Firearms Eligibility Check" done by the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms which runs a check on you and tells you if you are eligible to purchase a firearm.

You should see if there is something like that in your state.

this is what i found in regards to owning a gun in CA. seeing how we, as DACA applicants, will only have legal presence and not legal status, and therefore we will not have an I-94 or Resident Card. what i am gathering from this information is that, at least in CA, we will not be able to apply to buy a gun.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pfecfaqs#14

It asks for your Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number. Isn't our A# an Alien Registration Number?

If that's the case, I wonder why someone with an I-94 card can apply since they are here with just a temporary VISA. We actually would have a longer allowed time to stay of 2 years.

i believe that our A# are different from an Alien Registration Number because the ARN are given to those applying green cards and our A# are just appication receipt numbers. and the I-94 is basically an arrival/departure record form. we wont have that because we never filed one when we entered the US.

i guess one could try and fill out the application for a handgun but i would be a little wary about filling one out if the documents i have wont be taken.

I guess so. I just thought that since the A# number will be on the EAD that it was more an official number like the one on the Green Card.

I had an I-94 but I lost it....anyways I doubt they would take it since I got it 14 years ago.

Hmm thanks guys. I live in Tennessee. I do have an I-94 but its been expired. Not gonna trying to buy a handgun since the rules to posses are very stringent. I have a biometrics app tomorrow. If all goes well Ill have to talk to a lawyer to see what they say about.