Sign in to follow this  
jose3025

can we amend our taxes once we receive our ssn?

JOSE WOW I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT. GOOD QUESTION. I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK THAT UP MYSELF. BUT IF YOU HAVE A LAWYER THEY WOULD BE A GOOD OPTION TO ASK.

I think it should be possible. I have heard of people changing their SSN for a variety of reasons such as marriage, or stolen identity, and such, and they had to transfer all their benefits to the new SSN.

I just read in another forum something really interesting about this topic(transferring contributions from ITIN to SSN ) Check out the link below, its also a thread. from another forum Apparently some dreamers have had their contributions transferred at the social security office itself. They brought their W2 forms from previous years, and it seems that it was a pretty quick process

http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33829&page=4

Just saw this post... interesting, never even thought about it... here is what i found from the IRS site... the link is at the bottom!

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined. Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. Send your letter to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0057

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Additional-ITIN-Information

ok i get the fact that we have to change our ITIN with our SSN but my question is are we gonna get back all the money that we couldn't get the previous years because we didn't have a SSN?