Sign in to follow this  
C_Air23

State ID's and DL's validity

So I got both my state ID and DL in California and my Cali ID is valid for 6 yrs n exp in 2018 and California Drivers License valid for 5 years and expires in 2017... Please make this a post on how long the validity of your DL's and State ID's are valid for each state. I'm curious because I heard that DMV will issue state ID n DL based on the exp date of your EAD...which wasn't the case for mine. Thank you!

FYI: My state ID came in the mail 11 days after I applied and my Drivers License came in at exactly 7 days/a week from when I passed my behind the wheel driving test. So just in case you guys are wondering on how long the waiting period is for these ID's.

On Nov. 5th, 2012, I went to apply for my state ID. I show them my SSN, EAD, and two mails that has my name with the address. The process was quick and I thought I would get my ID right away just like others but once I pay them $25.00 the lady told me that I'll get my ID within 30 days in the mail. So, finally on Nov, 30th, 2012 I received my ID and it only gave me a year and on the right lower corner it says in red "Temporary". I wonder does anyone have the same thing like that? But I'm glad that I finally have a valid ID to show others when they ask. Also, I found out that in Florida, you can't have ID and DL at the same time! Once I go get my DL I have to give back my ID to them! I think that's a new rule, because my dad didn't have to do that before.

On Nov. 5th, 2012, I went to apply for my state ID. I show them my SSN, EAD, and two mails that has my name with the address. The process was quick and I thought I would get my ID right away just like others but once I pay them $25.00 the lady told me that I'll get my ID within 30 days in the mail. So, finally on Nov, 30th, 2012 I received my ID and it only gave me a year and on the right lower corner it says in red "Temporary". I wonder does anyone have the same thing like that? But I'm glad that I finally have a valid ID to show others when they ask. Also, I found out that in Florida, you can't have ID and DL at the same time! Once I go get my DL I have to give back my ID to them! I think that's a new rule, because my dad didn't have to do that before.

That's because of your two years EAD, which is okay because no matter how many years says on the identification card it becomes invalid as soon as your EAD Expires and even if the identification has a longer expiration date you have to go back to the DMV and report it to them.

I received my ID in the mail today and it looks just like any other ID, no red text saying temporary or visitor. It does expires when my EAD expires, not on my birthday.

That is a good point. I didn't know the ID/DLs expired on the date of your EAD expiration regardless if they say five or more years. Mine does have a LIMITED TIME stamp on the top right corner and expires when my EAD expires.

It sucks, because you're obviously not here for a limited time.. not like you are a visitor on a visa. DACA approved people shouldn't have to have any marks on their identifications.. we have enough to deal with such as the short period of time that we have.. two years isn't much to be honest.

So I got both my state ID and DL in California and my Cali ID is valid for 6 yrs n exp in 2018 and California Drivers License valid for 5 years and expires in 2017... Please make this a post on how long the validity of your DL's and State ID's are valid for each state. I'm curious because I heard that DMV will issue state ID n DL based on the exp date of your EAD...which wasn't the case for mine. Thank you!

FYI: My state ID came in the mail 11 days after I applied and my Drivers License came in at exactly 7 days/a week from when I passed my behind the wheel driving test. So just in case you guys are wondering on how long the waiting period is for these ID's.

I APPLIED FOR MY CA ID AND IS ALSO VALID FOR SIX YEARS.. MAYBE IT'S THAT WAY IN CALI?

Each state that has adopted the Federal Real ID Act of 2005 will probably grant you a DL based on your EAD card.

In my state of Georgia the requirements for getting an ID is much much tougher and I know they'll base the longevity of my DL on my EAD card because of the Federal Real ID Act.

hi,

I haven't gotten my DL yet, but a friend of mine, his DL is only valid for 2 years (same as EAD) & says Temporary. We're in OK.

anyone from illinois? i just got approved on the 18th and i want to go get mine ASAP.Also why do they get mailed to us instead of printed on the spot like for others?

Liberal or blue states like California don't comply with the "Federal Real ID Act of 2005", meaning that they have less stricter laws compared to southern states like Georgia for instance. This is why I love liberal states. We need to turn Texas blue in 2016 people! Lol :D