Sign in to follow this  
NilviaRR

Keep on giving, don't turn your back on the rest!

There is something that I see a lot that is soooo overwhelmingly disappointing and infuriating!! Anyone else notice that often times when someone finally gets legal status/residency/citizenship, they seem to turn their backs on the rest of us and begin to see themselves as better while judging everyone that hasn't gotten there yet? I see that a lot, and it makes no sense to me!! WHY, after having been in the same boat, do people feel all of a sudden better than everyone else??? Those people begin to disassociate themselves from the rest of us and all of a sudden se creen la gran cagada!! I want to plead with all of you here that when you are approved for the deferred action, get your EAD, social security card, and license, you won't turn your back on the rest of us... Keep on fighting for us!!! Keep on being there for us!! Furthermore, if one day you get a full path to residency/citizenship, don't you EVER forget where you came from!! Don't you ever forget that struggle, don't you ever forget those hardships, and don't you EVER leave your own people hanging!! Keep on striving to help not only fellow dreamers, but also any other community members that are struggling as I'm sure a lot of our parents are struggling... Always keep that passion, don't ever let it burn out!!! Good luck to everyone y que Dios los bendiga!! <3 :)

This is a great post! Yes I feel the same way you do.some people forget that just a few months ago they were also strugguling and in fear.I pray that the Lord will get us all out of this struggle

Yes! I've noticed that too .... and it is sad and disappointing :( and I agree with you, we should all keep on helping each other, I don't see why not. :)

La union hace la fuerza! lol I think it's a slogan, but anyways :b it's true! ^_^

Not everyone turns their back, it is just the way things are happening.

We've been waiting for years and finally we get something.. We want to do everything we haven't been able to do for the past few years. Get a career, better jobs, a house or a car (those with savings) or even travel for sometime.. Enjoy life before starting to work.

There are so many reasons.

But eventually a lot go back to helping. You can't ask people to restrict themselves and keep helping when they've been restricted their whole life. Takes time and we only get two years.. Time is precious :-)

I get that a lot of ppl cant spare a whole lot of time, but the fact that some people, when they get those wings, start judging the rest of us and feel better than us... THAT'S whats truly disappointing and unacceptable!! The gist of this is to not forget where you came from and quit the judging basically!

nilvia tell me bout it...i see that a lot here where i live now! feel like slaping them right in the face... i feel the same way never forget where u come from! i understand that some ppl have everything here in USA but thats no need to be la gran cosa cuz there NOT!! cuz we are all the same with the big nopal in our face wich im so proud! lol and those ppl talking shit just make our raza look bad....Being mexican is something to be proud of even if we dnt have the same chances we are getting here in the USA.

Couldn't have said it any better, Mayra!!!! I am sooooo damn proud of being 100% Mexicana, y hasta de Mazatlan, Sinaloa!! hahaha Me da tanto orgullo, y no lo cambiaria por nada en este mundo!!!!

I agree with you 100% and wish I knew why you feel or gave examples of how others are turning their backs. I used to be here more often but unfortunately am not because I found a job. I am a receptionist at a law firm and the hours are long. Its not that we've "turned" our backs, the thing is that we finally got the opportunity to work and start making arrangements to go back to school. Because I am not here as often as I used to, I have seriously considered stepping down as moderator. Let someone else have the spot. Good luck to us all.

Ohhh no no no, please don't think that this is about the ppl here, and I do understand that it's hard necessarily to help people, like i said above the gist of this is to get ppl to stop judging, thats my biggest concern... for example, my boyfriend was born here in the u.s. and he's a citizen... his parents (who were once illegal, just like me) don't like me and my sister because they think we're only with them to use them (which hello, if I was really that type of person I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have dated some of the guys I dated, and on top of that, I've been with my boyfriend for over 6 months and everytime he even begins to speak of marriage I always tell him I wouldn't accept his help because I don't want ppl to get the wrong idea) Additionally, other ppl I know that were once illegal just like me, when they get their legal status, they disassociate themselves from the rest of us, as if all of a sudden they're better and we're just dirt... Like they will literally stop talking to a lot of us and look down on as and not want to lend a helping hand because they think we're only using them.. I understand the not being able to help ppl out 100% of the time, I am only asking people not to turn their backs on us socially and understand that they're not any better than us cuz all of a sudden they have a little piece of paper.

Further example... something happening in my town is that a lot of the mexicans are being ticketed on a daily basis for not having a D.L.... My sister and I (both dreamers) have been organizing a lot of the statements (cases of harassment) and talking with chief of police, district attorneys, NAACP, ACLU, etc. to get this to stop... we just received our licenses today, and just because the cops will no longer be stoppin us, doesn't mean we won't be continuing with the legal procedures to help everyone else out... On the other hand, there are a few mexicanos in town that DO have licenses, and DONT work, that when we reached out for their help in setting up a ride system (offering them compensation) they flat out said no... My sister and I, on the other hand, will probably be giving ppl rides at all times of the day and night, even though we both currently work 2 jobs with lots of hrs, odd schedules, we're both enrolled full time at a university, and we both have various other projects we work on (teaching english classes, church volunteering, etc.)

I like how you keep it real Nilvia and how you seem to be a proud Mexican. I also think its lame when a hispanic person wants to act like they don't speak spanish when they do!

I've had these encounters with some latinos whom I spoke spanish to and they've acted like they can't speak Spanish but then you have to listen to their broken or improper English. That freaking irritates the f$*&k out of me...

Wow! Now that's legit, Aled! Yea, I really can't stand it either when people are like that. Esos no son de aqui ni de alla!! haha.... And yes, I am very proud, cuz my ma raised me to be damn proud of being Latina/Hispana/Mexicana, so I always will be :D

ok, yes, I have to admit that since getting my work permit I have not had the time to log in and help. for that I am guilty. however, before I had my EAD, all i did was sit at home and do nothing so i had ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to log in and help. Now, i have a full time job. I work 10 hrs a day 4 days a week and go to school friday and saturday all day. I dont feel that I have turned my back on those who are still waiting, it is just that my priorities have changed. i'm not going to feel guilty for FINALLY having a job and living my life the way that I want to and not the way it was handed to me. I feel that me being a productive and educated person with goals (just the same as those not in our situation) will make a difference by showing those with predetermined notions of illegals that not all illegals are the same and that the majority of us do deserve the right to call America home just as they do.

TOO many people are getting this post all wrong.... this is about remembering where you come from and not turning you backs (metaphorically, socially) on us... it's about remaining proud of your ethnicity and people... its about remembering that you're still one of us (whether you're latino/hispano/whatever) regardless of what papers you may have now and new opportunities... I AM NOT SAYING that those of you that aren't dedicating your lives to help others are backstabbers, etc... ALL I am saying is DON'T DISASSOCIATE YOURSELVES FROM THE REST OF US JUST BECAUSE NOW YOU HAVE OPPORTUNITIES THAT OTHERS STILL DON'T... Once again, I AM NOT calling ppl backstabbers just because they don't spend all of their time helping others, I am only PLEADING that you remember your struggle and you don't judge ppl that are still struggling... Chill out ppl, I am seriously not judging or calling anyone out on anything like that, this post was solely based on personal experiences with people I know that feel better than others once they get their legal status... Please read all of the original post as well as each of my comments before you explode on me thinking I'm hating on people... En serio, a todos los que estan aqui les deseo lo mejor y no los estoy juzgando... Deseo que encuentren felicidad, tranquilidad, y exito con esta oportunidad que nos dio Obama... Total, tambien deseo que nunca se olviden de donde vienen... Que Dios los bendiga!

i get being proud and all that but here's my situation.

even though i was born in mexico, i have no ties to mexico. i dont know any one there and can honestly say that i dont want to either. i grew up in a small town in southern california where 99% of the people are white. i grew up with white kids and spoke english just like they did. my mother sent me to private school for my education. i can honestly say that i dont relate to the majority of Dreamers. i dont mean that in a bad way, i'm just saying that my upbringing was COMPLETELY different then most of everyone here. i dont speak spanish and dont feel the need to. I have gone 29 years without doing so and have gotten along just fine. i have been told that I have "sold out" of being hispanic or latino because I dont speak spanish but if I never knew what it was like to be hispanic or latino how can I have "sold out"?

I am proud of the upbringing that i had and would love to do it all over again, the exact same way, if i could. for me, i am PROUD of the person that I am and the person i will become rather then being proud to be hispanic or latino.

Pues que lastima que perdistes eso, porque ser hispano/a es algo que no cambiaria por nada en este mundo... Que lastima que no sabes nada de tu cultura... que lastima que ni si quiera sabes tu idioma... que lastima que ni si quiera tratastes de saber quien eres... porque la mera verdad en este pais, aunque TU te creas muy americana y muy de aqui, todos los americanos/gringos (sin tener en cuenta si son racistas o no) SIEMPRE te van a ver como diferente, como hispana, porque la mera verdad tienes el nopal pintado mija... No me arrepiento por lo que te estoy diciendo... Total, es tu vida y realmente no tengo ninguna razon para juzgarte... Quiero que entiendas que no te estoy juzgando, nomas me duele mucho que pienses asi... Suerte

I kind of have to agree with PSWA this time.

In my case, I grew up in the States since I was 13 years old and I can barely remember my life over there. My life has ways been here and will continue to be for as long as I'm allowed.

Just because someone feels more on the side of North Americans, doesn't mean they forgot where they came from.. they just simply don't remember much about their country.

If I had to choose between the country that I was born in and the US, I would choose the US.

The US gave me the opportunity that my "own" country didn't give to my parents.

Whether someone sees you as a Hispanic or not, it does not matter. You know your own self and that's all that matters.

Nilvia started off saying one thing, but apparently you guys misunderstood and came up with another.

I have seen Latinos, not born not in the U.S. They somehow became citizens and they totally forget where they came from ( I could care one bit about the age they got here) and simply because they now have residency or citizenship they go against other latinos who are lnot in their same position of being a resident or citizen.

I saw on the news, three people from Arizona dressed up as members of the KKK they were racially attacking a hispanic woman (Mexican) They cops somehow stopped these people unmasked them and only to find out they were Mexican as well. Except they were citizens. What the fuck is that!?

I was brought here to the U.S when I was nine years, I have no ties with my country and that's because I can't travel to it. This. Country has given me everything I have now, I was raised here and this is the only country I know, but I'm still Latino, I still speak perfect spanish and the fact that I was raised here doesn't make me a white boy. I'm still Latino... I'm proud to be able to speak Spanish and English.

Its about keeping it real.

@PSWA, I really am not... I just said it's hurtful that you feel that way and its too bad that you lost it, I'm not saying its disgraceful, pathetic, etc... I am solely saying it's just too bad

@Rawf, I was brought to this country when I was a little over a yr old, but I never ever ever lost my heritage... I don't know personally much about mi Mexico lindo (unfortunately, because I have no family and if I went I would have nowhere to go and I wouldn't be able to come back here, where my family would choose to stay), other than what my mom portrays it as and what I have learned from the mexicanos here, but I can honestly say there is nothing I would like more than to get the chance to go, see for myself, and live in Mexico for a while because at the end of the day, Mexico is my country of citizenship and I will never regret having been born on the south side of that border!

@Aled, Solamente digo lo que pienso, si la cae mal a la gente, pues nimodo, no voy a cambiar mis opiniones, y voy a seguir pa'delante con lo que mi ma me enseno, y eso es ser orgullosa de quien soy. Soy mexicana, y de eso NUNCA me dara verguenza