Sign in to follow this  
roadrunner11

Getting a Driver's License

After you obtain your EAD and SSN it is time to get your State ID or DL. Hopefully the state you live in grants DL or IDs to dreamers.

Requirements vary among states but here are the general guidelines.

1. Study the driving manual. You can find what your DMV requires when applying for a DL. You can always go online and download the manual as a PDF.

2. At the DMV, take your EAD and SSN cards as proof of identity. They might ask you for one more ID so you can take a valid photo ID such as a passport of maybe a school ID?

3. Proof of residency - You can take a letter, bill, shipping receipts, etc.

4. Take the written driving test based on the particular state's manual.

5. Take the "behind the wheel" driving test.

Please add more details if I missed something.

In PA, one needs to show the EAD or passport, a government document showing your current immigration statues, and two proofs of residency and phone bill isn't an appropriate bill as a proof......https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuM5FY-OG4A2dEtlNUF5dUlzTlFUSkFKZTc5MXhvbVE

I know it's different in every state but when you apply for a DL are you going to be tested in driving, which means are you gonna do a test drive?

I know it's different in every state but when you apply for a DL are you going to be tested in driving, which means are you gonna do a test drive?

In every states, you need to take the written AND practical test. The only difference is the required documents to be checked upon registering.

In PA, one needs to show the EAD or passport, a government document showing your current immigration statues, and two proofs of residency and phone bill isn't an appropriate bill as a proof......https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuM5FY-OG4A2dEtlNUF5dUlzTlFUSkFKZTc5MXhvbVE

ahh that's just too much. Texas is exactly like that. I know BC I'm right now getting my state i.d :)

Wow illinois is completely different from how harsh other states are,my friend went and got hers with just a phone bill,SSN,EAD and school ID.She got her license on the spot and its exactly like everyone elses.

Ok so I have a question on the time it takes to receive your DL in the mail. For anybody in California. I passed my behind-the-wheel on March 12,2013. It's May 22 and I still haven't received anything! I could have gotten my state ID too but I figured the DL would serve that purpose too. Anyway, now I regret it. Has this happened to anyone? Why is it taking so long? Geez, it seems like it'll never get here.