Sign in to follow this  
Aled

Have you heard of...?

So I thought that even up to this date, I was informed about the necessary things that I need to gather to be prepared for the day of the application set for august 15. All that hasn't changed, but I recently came across something I never knew or heard of before that's supposed to be required to apply for deferred action.

What I read goes as follows:

If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, please remember to sign up for selective service. Not doing so could interfere with your deferred action application, especially because it is required that you sign up (regardless of status) under federal law.

Here's the link where I found this:

http://dreamrelief.org/resources/required-documents/

My concern is that I have no idea what this is (I'm going to google it), and that this is the only site where I've seen this.

I thought I should share this with everyone, If you know anything at all about this I'm interested to know. Is this really required to apply for deferred action? Tell us what you know.

Peace

Alright, so maybe I should've learned a little about this before actually making the post. I'm glad I learned about it early enough before the actual date of the application this august 15.

So what is Selective Service? Here's what I learned: Selective service is basically the governments way of knowing how many people they have in case of the need for a draft. Everyone has to do it, because there are so many federal and important forms such as the fafsa that require you fill it out.

Filling it out will only mean that you're name is in the huge pool if there ever is a draft again, and trust me there will not be.

Everyone does it and it's not something to be scared of, you wont go to war, its just so the army knows how many healthy young americans they have for the draft if that uneventful day ever happens.

I thought I should share with all of you who like me, didn't know what this was in the first place. This of course only applies to Males who are from the ages of 18 to 26.

Here is the link to their website: https://www.sss.gov/default.htm

I've read that even if you're undocumented you're required to sign up, it's the law they say. Also, for us undocumented folks you cannot sign up online, that is because we don't have a valid SSN. You may sign up at your nearest U.S post office. If you're like me asking; "why do I have to sign up for this, if I'm undocumented?" Well, I guess its the law... Again, here's the link where I found this as another little requirement to prevent any problems when filling your deferred act application.

http://dreamrelief.org/resources/required-documents/

To not confuse anybody, this applies to males between the ages of 18 to 26 years old.

Hello raw,

I attended a community meeting that was set up by immigration lawyers, the first I thing I asked them was if selective service was a requirement to apply for deferred action and their answer was no. You can disregard this post.